Are turkeys known for standing on one leg?

While it is well-known that flamingos stand on one leg for long periods of time, I recently saw a wild turkey standing on one leg while walking home from work (the Boston area is known for harboring wild turkeys). Is this behavior considered normal for turkeys, or other birds? Or did I see a turkey that was either strange or one-legged?

9 Responses to “Are turkeys known for standing on one leg?”

1. Marc April 29, 2010 at 10:13 am Permalink

It is unacceptable that there not be a pic of such a behavior from the part of the beast, which in the end makes your question volatile.
    On the other leg (or is it hand) such a pic could be used in a magazine writing an in-depth story entitled, “Turkey still waiting to enter EU”.

2. Samuel Arbesman April 29, 2010 at 11:07 am Permalink

I wish I had a picture of the turkey’s behavior. These wild turkeys walk down the sidewalk, and cross streets (I have seen one use the crosswalk properly), but they are also pretty nasty beasts. Therefore, as I was already on the sidewalk right next to it, I was afraid that photographing it would further alarm it. But it is science’s loss.

3. Carlos Gershenson July 15, 2010 at 10:02 am Permalink

While living in Boston (Savin Hill), three wild turkeys “terrorized” the neighborhood for a couple of days… well, they vandalized our neighbor’s car… (broken windshield) so I guess it was wise to stay away from them… let professional birdwatchers solve the dilemma…

4. Buster August 22, 2010 at 8:41 am Permalink

I have trail camera pictures of wild turkey standing on one leg shortly after coming down from the roost one morning. The temperature was a little below freezing. 3 years of these pictures and many many turkey pictures, but that was the only time I’ve seen that behavior. I thought it may be the angle, but there are enough pictures from that morning to confirm. Kind of neat…I guess.

5. Samuel Arbesman August 22, 2010 at 6:07 pm Permalink

Wow! That’s great to hear that you have been able to confirm this behavior, even if it appears to be quite rare. Are any of these photos available online?

6. Buster August 22, 2010 at 10:59 pm Permalink

I could email you the pictures in a zip file or something. I just submitted one of the pictures to the Moultrie website game camera gallery. Usually the pictures I submit get posted within a couple of days. It is the best one I think. They are on one leg and have their heads tucked. So they look like a basketball size feather ball on a stick. In the gallery, you can search:”near Brownwood, TX”; turkey;January;2009;Turkey On One Leg #1. Or just search by most recent here in a few days. (There is no # 2 picture yet)
    Just let me know. Looks like you have my email, so if you want to send me an email I can send you the rest…just let me know. Better sign off. I’m a highschool math teacher in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area and it’s the first day of school tomorrow…any prayer offerings are welcome!

7. Samuel Arbesman August 23, 2010 at 6:50 am Permalink

I couldn’t get that website to work, so why don’t you upload it to Flickr or a similar site and post the link here, when you have a chance, so all readers can check it out?

Thanks!

8. Buster August 23, 2010 at 9:26 pm Permalink

Okay I made a flicker account. The pictures are tagged “turkeys on one leg.”
    “Circle B” is my sign in name. I went ahead and posted most of them from that morning.
    Never used flicker so I hope that is enough to get you access. just let me know

9. Samuel Arbesman August 24, 2010 at 5:42 am Permalink

I found it!

Here’s a link to the turkey on one leg evidence.

Thanks!